When someone causes the death of another due to negligence or even a purposeful act, there are very specific types of damages that you can collect with the help of a wrongful death attorney in Denville NJ. While every case is different, and there is no way to tell immediately how much you can collect, there are standard types of damages that are common with nearly every type of wrongful death claim. The best first step is to contact a wrongful death attorney in NJ to get started.
The amount of damages that someone can collect can change depending on a number of factors, such as the severity of the injuries the victim suffered or their expected income over the span of their lifetime. Here are a few common types of damages seen in wrongful death cases:
1. Pain and Suffering – These damages are for the pain and suffering that someone suffered from between the time of the injury and their death.
2. Loss of Consortium – This is for the family of the victim and is meant to reimburse the family for the loss of the victim’s companionship.
3. Medical Bills – This covers all of the medical bills related to the injury.
4. Lost Wages – This covers the amount of money the victim would have earned and contributed to his or her family.
5. Punitive Damages – These damages are meant to punish the person who caused the death rather than reimburse the victim or his or her family and are usually awarded for a purposeful action or gross negligence.
6. Funeral Expenses – Reimbursement for any reasonable funeral expenses.
Call a wrongful death attorney in Denville NJ today to find out how much you can collect.